Friday, January 2, 2009

this old house-(part 1)

The girls and I were shopping last month and noticed this bumper sticker, "Support your local plumber!"
Well, I do-I live with my plumber. . .and my painter, electrician, mason, carpenter, mechanic. . .
thanks, dear handyman, for fixing the oven-how wonderful that the gas stayed ignited while cooking the holiday goodies.

. . .but this plumbing issue, a hot water leak in the bathtub-a persistent, steady stream. My plumber has changed out all the simple parts-no success; now when not in use, we just turn off the hot water at the source!

At the beginning of a new year, it's fun to read back over my old journals. In March 1997 I wrote about a faucet leak in this old house, "We have quite a few leaks around here-one profuse drip from the bathtub faucet. Jeremiah found the wide masking tape and taped it up; then he announced to me that he had repaired the leak!"

What's that?. . . a leak from the very same faucet 12 years ago? I assure you, it hasn't been leaking for 12 years. . . however, sometimes, living in this old house, it feels like the leaks and cracks have been forever and will persist forever. . .

Ah, yes, this old house-it's a good place. . . I love the hardwood floors, the high ceilings, light flooding in through the windows.
And when my mind gets fixed on faucet leaks-then it's time to examine my heart . . .time to preach the gospel to myself, time to be thankful, for God delivered me from the domain of darkness and transfered me to the kingdom of his beloved Son, Imagine that, Soul!

(and my plumber just informed me that he's ready to pull out and replace the entire unit, and maybe. . . just maybe he'll add pipe and fixture for a shower!)

3 comments:

Leah said...

Thank-you for this post. It encouraged me to preach to myself the gospel. I needed that.

Dawn said...

Hey Darcie,
I also live with my plumber...in an old, old house, too!
:)

Rachel said...

and WE all love your old house -- your house with the tall windows and inviting bookcases, family pictures and old teacups, benches so that everyone can squeeze around the table, knitting projects by the couch and quilts (quilted by you!) hanging in closets, the promise of good conversations in whatever room we find ourselves in....

p.s. we've been trying to figure out how to use the phrase "gospel one another" in Spanish. It's not quite the same!