Thursday, January 1, 2009

things we do in Texas

Autumn color is dim in Texas. . . however, we can harvest beautiful broccoli in December and January!
The four plants in my fall garden each produced a lovely broccoli-
I gave three away and saved one for a holiday family meal- broccoli cheese soup! I like the Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe with a few of my own modifications-here's for the New Year!


1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup half & half, 1 cup milk
2 cups chicken stock
large head of broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
8oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
Steam broccoli til crisp tender, coarsely chop, set aside. Saute onion in butter, set aside. Cook melted butter and flour, using whisk over medium heat. Stir constantly and add milk and half & half. Add the chicken stock; simmer for 20 minutes. Add the carrots and onion; simmer over low until carrots are tender. Add the chopped broccoli and cheese; simmer til heated thru, add salt and pepper to taste.

Provecho!

5 comments:

Abigail said...

guess what the Jacksons who live in Brockley London are eating for dinner tonight?
I have the soup simmering on the stove right now - smells fabulous! Thanks for the recipe

Unknown said...

we ate this last week and thorougly enjoyed it..and thank you for blessing us with the home-grown broccoli!

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

I'm making your soup today. I hope it turns out as wonderful as yours did. Thanks again for bringing this to us after our long trip home, and for sharing the recipe! Hope you are feeling better today:)

Amber said...

I am going to make this soup today! I am so excited... I LOVE Broccoli cheese soup! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!