Saturday, April 30, 2011

conversation and meditation

I have a collection of cups, each with a story. . .
Once Rachel and Abigail rode a tandem along the ocean, roamed a quaint coastal town, wandered into a shop with Italian pottery and purchased this lovely mug for me!
Now after 7 years, the rim reveals chips - and each time I choose this one, I think of my girls on a sister outing together. . .nice.
And this week I met a friend for coffee. We talked about God's call to obey, "If you love me, you will obey me," calls our good King.
And obedience is hard, but worth it. . . because God's glory is worth it.
I read Jesus' words to my friend,
If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. (Lk 9:23-24)

Then I went home. . . I pulled down my Italian cup with the chipped rim and I made a cup of Earl Grey-just for me. And I thought a lot about the words of Jesus, just for me.

whoever wishes to save his life shall loose it, whoever looses his life for my sake will save it.
mmmm, what specific ways have I been trying to "save my life" rather than lose it?
Curious, isn't it. . .how those words of Jesus were just for me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i like this story about the chipped cup. I've been trying to explain to Brett the beauty of mismatched cups, the memories that each one holds...

and i like the reminder that it is a Good king who calls us to lose our lives for Him.