Wednesday, April 27, 2011

words in a broken world. . .

Last week Diana and I spent a day translating a bridal shower devotional-over breakfast, lunch, and coffee, we reminded each other, Communication is more complex than just translated words!
Girls night out-mmm, how do I translate that to avoid sounding like. . .well, you know.
Endurance- more than patience. . .maybe a combination of words?

"Careful, Darcie, here the meaning is different in Spanish. . .this reference we leave out, okay?" Ah, friend, I'm thankful for you!
And the Gospel translates, no matter the language, the power and the truth translate!

It was a good day, a worthy pursuit with a friend. . .but even a faithful translation can be misunderstood, you know.
And so it is even when we speak the same language, right? No matter my sincerity, no matter how exact my words, there's no guarantee, and sometimes I'll be misunderstood. . . such is life in a world broken by sin.

So, I'll keep working at it, pursuing clarity. . . remembering the Savior, who communicated perfectly-yet was misunderstood.
Lord, create in me a humble, teachable heart.

No comments: