Thursday, April 7, 2011

chair project. . .and a visit

I inherited 6 lovely oak chairs from a friend. ( they match my floors!)

I'll replace the seat covers-John advises that a few need regluing, but really, they're okay, I say. . .

I plan to replace one bench at my dining room table with chairs-easier seating for some.

One afternoon last week my neighbor, Nieves, came by for a visit. Nieves works long days in a meat packing plant, in refrigeration- it"s been months since her last visit. I offered her one of my new chairs, a nice one with arms. We shared life for more than an hour- family, photos, flower seeds.

creak. . .creak. . .(Aye-every time she shifted in my lovely chair).

"No te mortifices" (don't worry), she said. . .and again.

And I did worry about it. After Nieves left, John got out the gorilla glue.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Love those t-backs!!!!

Kelly said...

Darcie, your blog reads like a familiar, well-loved book, the kind that feels like an old friend every time I open it. Your language and your wisdom keep me coming back, thanks for sharing worthy things to muse on.

(And thanks to my husband who introduced me to your blog. He went to high school with some of your kids.)