Sunday, October 17, 2010

uncommon emotion

So, my mother sat in her armchair, propped up just right.
I asked, "How about if I read the Bible?"
she requested Psalm 23 and Psalm 139-her favorites.
I repeated the question each morning and she answered with the same request-so I read. . . until she said, "Stop now!"
One morning I read from Psalm 139, "Your eyes have seen my unformed substance and in your book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. . ."
Then I opened and read her cards -one from Nathaniel and Abigail, "We're amazed to think how God is weaving together the inward parts of our unborn child."
Psalm 139! . . .and a great grandchild for my mother.
she smiled.
Another day I suggested a passage about Jesus; she nodded and I read John 10. . . the next day I chose Revelations 5. (my favorite)
"behold the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah has overcome so as to open the book. . .and I saw a Lamb standing, as if slain, worthy to open the book."
I asked my mother, "Who is the Lamb?"
Jesus!-her confident answer
"And I heard the voice of many angels around the throne saying, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches, wisdom and might, honor and glory and blessing. . ."

Aye-and there I sat reading, choking with uncommon emotion.
Imagine the wonder. . .

1 comment:

Jane said...

Darcie, I can just see you there reading to your mother. The Lord was there with you and His Word is living and active, ministering, ministering.

You are such a good daughter. How wonderful that the Lord ministered to you as well as to your mother through His Word.

Yes, indeed--Imagine the wonder!!