Wednesday, October 13, 2010

paper memories

I love paper- but I'm not very sentimental (mmmm. maybe a little bit). . .
my mother is very sentimental and she saves every scap of paper with a memory, especially from the 60+ years she was married to my father.
Sometimes the piles of saved paper irritate me. . .then I stumble upon a teasure.
So- my niece, Meredith, is sorting the stacks at Mom's house-last week she handed me a letter, still in the envelope with a classy Mexican stamp, a letter I wrote to my parents from a Mexican village, dated August 1982.
Rachel was 8 years old and I wrote, "Yesterday Rachel reread Charlotte's Web and she cried again. . .together we're reading The Borrower's Aloft; a friend lent us the Chronicles of Narnia-Rachel has read the first book already. . .the other day the girls were cutting out pictures from old Good Housekeeping magazines- Rachel commented, 'When I look at these magazines, it makes me think that there are lots of pretty things in the States!' and then she asked me, 'What's Master Charge?'"
A sweet memory amid a pile of obscure papers-(and she's getting married in just 10 days.)
maybe I should save more paper. . .

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Sweet post...

My Rachel was married October 22...16 years ago.
Such a lovely time to be married-October.

Hope all the last minute things come together beautifully.