Friday, August 6, 2010

to dwell

My friend Virginia is moving-again.
Dan, Virginia, and 3 tiny girls are moving to a new home in a different state this week.
Virginia is carrying a wee girl within. . . .hmmmm, I will miss them.
I reminded Virginia (and myself),"Trust in the Lord and do good, Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness" (Ps 37:3). . .always worthy truth to apply to every context in this life, I've discovered.
to dwell-to live as a resident, to settle down, to rest -I love the word. . .
And my home is my dwelling.
25 years ago John and I drove with our 6 small children to Mexico-would there be curtains for the windows of my dwelling? I remember feeling itchy about that.
I needn't have concerned myself since my new dwelling didn't have windows-or running water or a bathroom.
to dwell in the land means that I reside right here, this moment, not wishing to be somewhere else, with anybody else, to have something else. . .choosing to be content.
And I remind myself that for a Christ-follower, my dwelling isn't a physical place at all-
Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations (Ps 90:1)
And He never changes. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

Just wanted to let you know that this post really blessed me.
I'm feeling the need to focus on developing contentment right now, and your words were convicting and encouraging together!
<3