Monday, August 30, 2010

an occasion for cookies

I was in Dallas last week with Noah, Jamey, and sweet Adalyn Grace. Jamey expected friends to visit us-mainly to hold Adalyn, you know. . . so, we decided to make cookies and a sour cream coffee cake; I planned to whip up the cookies, but Jamey beat me too it. So-she mixed, measured, baked while I held our newborne.
In our family, Jamey gets the prize for the best chocolate chip cookies ever- here's the Cook's Illustrated-Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, but we simply call them:
Jamey's Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups +2 T unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
coarse salt for sprinkling

So-mix together the dry ingredients; next mix sugar and butter together; beat in egg, yolk, vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until combined. Stir in chips.
Roll golf ball size dough and place 2 inches apart. Cook 12-15 minutes @ 325 degrees
Pull the cookies out of the oven and sprinkle tops with any coarse salt. Salt on cookies? Jamey says that's the way Noah likes them-and we all agree!

As expected, Jamey and I hosted visitors every afternoon that week, women who came to cuddle Adalyn-and talk. . .
I got to serve the cookies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! That makes me want to makes cookies but it is a little more challenging now that you are not here. Somedays I still don't get a shower until Noah gets home. Thank you so much for coming up. You richly bless my life! We miss you and can't wait to see you again.

Love,
Jamey