Friday, May 7, 2010

the house guests came. . .

So, John and I just enjoyed a week of house guests-3 sets of guests.
hmmm, so good-
I always tell folks that staying at our place is a bit like camping. . . we have the most gracious guests.
And I'm thinking about a picture book, The Relatives Came by Cynthia Ryland, our tattered copy, stacked among the books in the corner here-a favorite with the grandchildren.
As this wonderful story goes. . . in an old station wagon, with an ice chest full of soda pop and bologna sandwitches, the relatives came up from Virginia-they drove all day and all night. . .
and when they finally arrived, it was hugging time,"you'd have to go through at least four different hugs to get from the kitchen to the front room!"
The relatives stayed for weeks -playing, working, laughing, making music- and breathing together; it was good they weren't particular about beds because there weren't any extras. . .
And Our family. . .well, we've loved this book, a gift from Teri, my sweet sister, in 1989 after we'd been to their place in California for a summer visit; she wrote on the fly leaf:
"We couldn't resist getting you this book; it seemed so appropriate! I love the part where the relatives aren't particular about beds! We loved having ALL of you. Promise you'll visit again."
hmm, don't you love it when folks write memories in a book?
And today I'm musing about this summer-from June to August, when our friends and relatives will come to stay at 2305 St. Anthony (remember dear ones, it's abit like camping!)
I can't wait. . .talking, laughing, working, eating and breathing together-worthy pursuits, every one.
Aunt Beth brings crafts in her suitcase!

4 comments:

Abigail said...

and we cant wait...so much to look forward to - laughing, eating, talking, and sweating in the Texas heat together!

Rachel said...

dear mom -- thank you for sharing your memories with us! while reading i have felt like I was one of those guests in your home (and wished that I was). i am very much looking forward to the memories that we will soon be making together this summer...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naomi Smith said...

I loved that book!

all the layers in that picture are fantastic!

AND I can't wait to see my family sprawled throughout 2305 snt. Anthony!