Saturday, May 15, 2010

encouragement on a Sunday afternoon. . .

So, in March we were with Abi and Nathaniel in England on "Mothering Sunday."
Mum's Day, they call it.
-a sweet occasion to be with them, to be handed a little clump of daffodils at Christ Church, Bromley on Mum's Day.
I'm always a bit conflicted on mother's day. . .them honoring me, when it seems I should be celebrating these sons and daughters who have allowed me to mother them (and continue to do so) stumbling along, for 36 years.
And last Sunday was Mother's Day in America (in Mexico it's always May 10th, did you know?) We'd already enjoyed a great week with family-grandmothers, mothers, aunts, all together- and concluded that Sunday afternoon was a good time to do very little, if you know what I mean?
So John and I decided to spend the afternoon visiting our friend, Randy.
our friend who for years has endured 2305 St. Anthony in extreme heat and cold, for years on Mondays has eaten up and complimented my homecooking, who has shared our life, our church, our hope in Christ. . .our friend, who has been recovering, waiting, visiting doctors, surgeons, waiting.
hmmm, so good- to encourage the saints-and to be encouraged to endure for the glory of God.
(and mothers need that encouragement too, so I've discovered)

2 comments:

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

:) my midwife came up with a creative way to celebrate: on Saturday the family all did the things that mom enjoyed (yard sales, picnic and a hike) and on Sunday she gave each of her kids a present to love on them and they played games and enjoyed being "family" together. It sounded like a sweet weekend!

Rachel said...

mom -- I smile (and chuckle a very tiny bit) at what you consider "doing very little." I'm sure that it was much more than that for Randy!

happy late mother's day to the world's best and sweetest and wisest mom (OK, so maybe I'm biased. but still....!). thanks for being the example that you are to so many other women.