Sunday, May 23, 2010

zinnias in a little pitcher and thoughts on time

Today the young Newtons gave me a gift-Amaleah picked the tiny zinnias from her garden; she and her daddy planted the seeds.
I love little pitchers. . . hmmm, I collected many little pitchers-and broke them while raising little children. . .
I pray for the young women in my life- dear women raising little children, who struggle to carve out time to be alone with God.
I remember- endless distractions, crunchy time, but sometimes a woman just has to be ruthless with herself-15 minutes of quiet. . .the sinkful of dishes? or time with God? (I wish I'd been less concerned with broken pitchers and more commited to time in God's Word.)
I think, "When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my heart." (Ps 94:19) You and I-we won't know the consolations of the Lord without time spent in his Word.
So, last week I talked with my sweet friend in Michigan- we're in the same season, children grown, new additions, keeping up. . .and our conversation wandered on to discretionary time, for we both have it now, discretionary time. And we agreed- with more time the challenge remains. . .we're tempted to squander time, we struggle to take our thoughts captive (the peril of too much time?), the choice remains. . .the sink full of dishes? or time with God (and sometimes a woman just has to be ruthless with herself. . .)
curious, isn't it-for the battle isn't about more time or less time, it's not about time at all-
Love the Lord your God with all your heart.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

thanks for posting this. it's not something i've heard people talk about, which has made me wonder if i'm the only one with this struggle. I find that like you, I also have more "discretionary time." Not because of my children being grown and out of the house but because of being single! No children to feed, or pick up from school or change/bathe/tuck into bed...equals having a lot more free time than other women my age have. and I guess the struggle is to not wonder, "oh, what will I do with MY time today," but to instead think, "oh, how will I serve God with this time?"

which maybe sounds really theological, but is actually quite, quite practical in the day to day! like you said, it's who i'm choosing to love....

Amber said...

Darcie, Your posts are always so encouraging to me! I am so thankful for the truth and the great reminders that you put in your blog! I think from now on I need to remember that sometimes a woman just has to be ruthless and make time for God... and no matter what, Love the Lord with all my heart! Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Imagine the French countryside. Middle Ages & afterward. Peasant farmers stopping in mid-morning to pray & honor God. And again, at noontime. Then, in the setting sun to end their 'work day. Each time with simple prayers, perhaps reciting quotes from the New Testament. Illiterate but knowledgeable in the Gospel stories. Simple. Their daily routine. Not so difficult then, not so difficult now.

Jane said...

thank you Darcie! A sweet reminder.