Monday, February 8, 2010

kind words. . .and face

A few months ago I was making frequent phone calls to schedule first time appointments with a variety of doctors. I felt nervous, timid-who would answer the phone-and would she answer with a smile or a scowl?. . . I discovered the wonderful relief as the person on the other end responded patiently, kindly.
The Bible tells us about the proverbs 31 woman, "kindness was on her tongue". . . I think that means kind words were ready, in her heart, on her mind, and then she expressed kind words.
In life's rapid routine I don't always listen to myself talk; are my words sweet- gentle- nurturing -encouraging? Does harshness or sarcasm ever creep into my voice? Sometimes I say the right words in an unkind tone.
John andI observed friends interacting with their young children; as Dad spoke to a whiney child, Mom gently clued him, "tone, tone!" They had agreed to hold one another accountable for the tone of their words.
And my face. . . does my expression read kind and I'm interested in you? I think I have a telling face which at times is not welcoming or kind, imagine that? Perhaps I'm merely distracted, but my face appears scowling, "What does she want from me this time?" says my face. . .
As long as I can remember John has asked me to make bread for his faculty Christmas luncheon-certainly not a burdensome chore, however with the recent request, my face must have read, bother! or not again or I'm really busy . . .since almost immediately my dear husband offered to buy bread at the local bakery!
Sigh. . .
enough for one post, but there's more.

No comments: