Thursday, February 11, 2010

easy to be entreated

Entreat: to make an earnest request or petition
A kind woman is easily entreated. James 3:17 describes wisdom from above,
"first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."
Included in "reasonable" is easy to be entreated. I've been thinking about this great quote by Matthew Henry:
"There is an easiness that is weak and frail, however, it is not a blamable easiness to yield ourselves to all just requests of fellow creatures."
hmmm, I certainly don't want to have an easiness that is weak and frail. . .but to cultivate such a quality, to yield to all just requests- that is a worthy pursuit indeed.
So, I ask myself, "Do I yield to just requests or am I harsh and unbending, holding to a rigid standard? (just plain mean!) Do others know that you and I will listen to a respectful appeal, do our children and grandchildren know they can come to us with a just request?
So I've made up this phrase for myself, "Am I easily entreatable?" (I don't think entreatable is a real word, but it works to question my heart!)
Soul, remember. . .kindness is tender concern for others, a desire to treat others gently, just as the Lord treats us.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Hi Darcie, I'm a friend of Kelly L.'s and she sent me a link to your blog some time ago. I don't think I've ever commented before, but I wanted to take the opportunity to "Thank you" for your words of wisdom! I read them often and am encouraged and convicted as let the scripture you share mold and shape my own heart. If we ever get to Tx., it's be a privilage to chat over coffee with you!