Wednesday, February 17, 2010

enduring kindness. . .

So, day by day you and I get out of bed, thank the Lord for Himself, thank Him for a new day full of opportunities. . .we ask for his grace which enables us to desire the happiness of others, remembering the truth-love is patient, love is kind-and day by day we leave a legacy of kindness.
But there may be seasons in our lives when each of us is faced with the prospect of doing a particular deed of goodness day in and day out, with no end in sight-Aye, weary. . .
Then we're encouraged, "And let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)
I watch my friend, Laura, enduring. . . showing kindness and goodness-purposing to meet her elderly father's extensive needs. Laura demonstrates to me that the goal of her kindness is to show forth the compelling power of the Gospel. . . and it must be just that for Christ followers, don't you think?
Do I desire to leave a legacy of kindness? indeed, but not so others notice,"My, oh my, she is such a kind woman. . . so many deeds of goodness!"

but rather-she devoted her life to the happiness of others because of Jesus- because He loved her and gave up His life for her. . .

1 comment:

Julie West said...

This post is really helpful to me, Darcie. The idea of enduring in kindness really gripped me. I think that I often determine to be obedient to the Lord in showing kindness and see it as some kind of extraodinary act. As time wears on and I am commanded to continue to show kindness and love, I start thinking, "OK, I've done this long enough!" Or as my old German aunt use to say, "Dat's da limit!" :-) It's kind of like kids who have to eat their vegetables only eat as much as they have to and no more. You know "just one more bite".
Your title, "enduring kindness" makes me think of the Psalm that repeats "His love endures forever" over and over. His love and kindness for us goes on and on, and we are His children. Thank you for such an insightful post!