Monday, February 22, 2010

breakfast on Monday

This morning I hastily flipped through my recipe binder, searching for something yummy to bake. . . and to take along to gift a new friend; then I remembered these banana blueberry muffins- one of those long lost recipes; a lick of the batter and the aroma of baking muffins reminded me that this recipe is delicious!
So, I ate one for my breakfast-on-the-run, along with plain yogurt and hot tea; then throughout the day I gave away the remainder of the dozen (with one set aside for John!).

healthy banana-blueberry muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup frozen blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350; beat butter and sugars til fluffy, add eggs one at a time, beating well; in another bowl, mash bananas (you should have 3/4 cup), stir in milk and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and gently mix all together, lastly fold in the frozen blueberries.
Divide the batter among lined muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes; let cool 10 minutes. (I enjoyed mine warm with cool smooth yogurt!)
today I had all the ingredients on hand-but if not, I would substitute flours and perhaps add bran or oats instead of wheat germ. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Michigan Kate said...

And they were yummy! Thanks for the treat, the fellowship, and the recipe : )

Unknown said...

these ones are good, i have the recipe in my binder!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.