Saturday, November 29, 2008

a good book in my bag. . .

When I muse on what gladdens my heart in day to day life. . . I think about the young women who routinely spend time with me over coffee.
A year ago I began discipling Kate-during a time of particular adversity in her life; together we explored how our meetings could be most fruitful, and Kate offered, "I'm struggling with my grieving-I need to study the character of God. . . "

Now then, what could be better? Kate didn't ask me to study the psychology of grieving--but the character of God-Ah, good for you, sweet girl!

So, I suggested we read Trusting God by Jerry Bridges. My personal copy is worn out-notes and underlining crowd the bent pages; in one margin I scribbled, nothing will happen to my children that is outside God's soverign control- trust God with my teenage drivers!. . . a note from fifteen years ago-and still true today.

Kate and I meet each week over coffee-we share our journal responses to each chapter of Trusting God, review the Scriptures, and we encourage each other. . . inorder to trust our God in adversity, we must believe that He is absolutely soverign, perfect in love and infinite in wisdom.

Soon now, we'll finish the book and move on to something new-it's been good.

1 comment:

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Did you see the news?????? :-D

http://blog.handmadebycole.com/2008/12/in-case-you-havnt-guessed-yet.html


LOL