Wednesday, November 19, 2008

for just one day. . .

When I think about my grown-up children spread over the face of God's vast earth, then I remind myself of two things:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth(3 John) and I didn't raise these children to pitch a tent in my backyard. . .

So, last spring we were anticipating a family gathering-it doesn't happen often. Apart from the Spain group, we expected everybody; however, while reviewing the plan, I realized that all 13 of us would be together for just one day. . . one day? . . . only one day. . . (sigh)
Frequent heart examination is always a worthy pursuit-so I've discovered.

I worship something or someone every waking moment of every day-the Lord Jesus or something else. The human heart is a factory of idols, wrote a noteable theologian. Hmmm. . . so, even a good thing, like spending time together as a family, can be an idol in my heart if I'm discontent and dissatisfied when I don't get it--what do I worship? long for? where is my devotion?
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind . . . (Matt 22:37)
So, last month Rachel traveled from Spain to Dallas for a wedding; she borrowed her brother's car and came to San Antonio for a day. . . .just one day. She emailed me, "Mom, do you have time for coffee with me on Tuesday afternoon? I'll be in town-with family. . . for one day." Did I have time? Indeed-and it was sweet, for my heart was thankful for just one day .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can only imagine how you have to work through being thankful for "just one day." I dread that--when my children are grown and gone..I'm planting seeds that Texas is the place to be!

Kelly said...

"I worship something or someone every waking moment of every day-the Lord Jesus or something else. The human heart is a factory of idols......" This is such a good reminder and consequently, brings great conviction, Darcie.

Yet, I couldn't help but thing of the verse in Psalm 84:10,11, "For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of God, than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."

Dawn said...

Darcy...
I sooo hear you on this one.
I am thankful for any time that our children can gather with us. It is rare and sweet to have them together.

We did not often consider the just-one-day events when they were small and running through the house.
Yes?
*sigh*

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
xo