Saturday, November 1, 2008

"dreamin of a new wardrobe?"

. . . that's the question that popped up on my computer screen the other day-reminds me of a wardrobe discussion I had with Abi this summer as we sorted through her clothes. She said,

"When my wardrobe seems boring, then I give myself a little pep talk: Abi, you have lots of clothes- you can be creative with your clothes-you can make new outfits with old clothes!"

Hmmm. . . that's good-I'll remember Abi's pep talk when I find myself "dreamin of a new wardrobe". Actually, I came away with some delightful wardrobe pieces this summer direct from Abi's closet! "Mom, I can't take all these cute shoes to London-take the yellow mary-janes, and choose one of my jackets. " . . .so I did; the yellow shoes are Abi's purchase from her summer teaching in China, and I chose the maroon cordoroy jacket with lovely painted buttons. I will wear her clothes this fall in Texas and think about her drinking earl grey with milk in London.

So, last month I was out and about with my grand-girls and a friendly lady approached me, "I love your yellow shoes-where did you get them?"

" These yellow shoes?", I asked, "made in China, purchased in China, my sweet daughter. . . would you like to hear the story?

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Great story!
Yellow MJs? I love 'em but I know I could not do yellow!
Hmmmmm....maybe a pair of sage green ones...or a new pair of red ones!

One of my fave jackets was one my son wore in college...with a vintage hankie tucked in the pocket.

Your "new" jackets are adorable.
You little people can wear the cutest things....

Naomi Smith said...

no way! you got the yellow Mary Janes?!
I too, love the wardrobe shuffling that goes an amongst the Newton women (besides . . . I think I'm at the bottom of the style chain, so that means that I give a little and get A LOT!)
I miss you!

Unknown said...

I think Mercy donates to my cause the most, but probably because she's the closest to my size! If only I fit into y'all's tiny clothes!

Abigail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abigail said...

those yellow mjs are so very cute on you, glad you are wearing them! - I love it when I have a story that goes with my outfit!

I am hoping for a bit of wardrobe re-shuffling come Christmas time. Yay for sisters with great taste in clothes! (btw Naomi, I don't know what you are talking about, being on the bottom of the style chain - I always hope you pass your clothes on to me! And what does that say about my style?!)