Friday, September 26, 2008

5,400 miles in 5 weeks. . . .


Did you know that John and I traveled 5,400 miles in our diesel Jetta this past summer-with two bicycles on the the back and without a break down? We were on the road 5 weeks, visited 13 states, slept in 13 homes, shared meals in more, worshipped with the church in 4 locations-what a wonderful adventure; it's always delightful to visit new places-the panorama of God's creation is so diverse. . . but really, it was wonderful because of the opportunity to share in the lives of so many dear folks.

I'm beginning a study of the letter to the Philippians titled, Knowing Joy through Knowing Christ-great title, don't you think? Studying historical background, I learned that the church in Philippi was planted during Paul's second missionary journey-Acts 15:36 reveals the purpose of the trip: "Let's return to visit the brethren in every city in which we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see how they are."

I love to think on that. . . and when I muse about the future, a few years down the road when John no longer spends his days in the elementary school, I wonder just how and where we will serve the Savior? Perhaps He will send us to visit the brethren. . . and see how they are, and that indeed would be a worthy pursuit.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that picture. You two make such a sweet couple...I hope Luke and I look like that when we grow "older"--still sooo in love!

Kelly said...

I just found your blog, Darcie, and it is no surprise you are focused on sharing your heart on worthy pursuits -- I can't wait to read more!!! The other day, I, too, was struck by the words in Philippians that carry this same tone -- "to WALK in a manner WORTHY of the gospel." It's great to read about your travels to encourage and be encouraged by the brethren -- yet, I admit, that right now, I'm glad that God has you HERE encouraging us brethren and "sistern" (that doesn't work, does it??!!) LOL -- here in San Antonio! Keep up the worthy posts, dear friend!