Tuesday, September 23, 2008

recipes and more. . . .

Luke's stuffed poblano peppers

Mercy's away at college in Lubbock, way north in the Texas Panhandle. Last week she called me, "Mom, I need a recipe. . . ." I exclaimed, "Mercy, you're making the traditional recipe phone call like the seven siblings before you!" and Mercy commented, "yah, I always thought it was silly that they were calling you just for a recipe, not for something more important. . ." So we talked about recipes and more. I'm glad she called.

The same day Josiah left a message on the answering machine, a message about a recipe: "Mom, I'm making biscuits-can I use butter instead of shortening? I don't have buttermilk, can I use half & half?" Those biscuits must have been delic. . . . here's an amusing thing about the Newtons: even when the grocery budget is the tightest, we always seem to squeeze out enough for butter and half & half. I'm glad Josiah called about a recipe. . . and more.

So, I'm thinking about all those recipe phone calls-recipes and more; the curious thing is that frequently now I'm calling them for recipes-they all cook; infact they're good cooks and make great coffee- Imagine that!

4 comments:

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

:-D
Thats so cool!


Can't wait to get together!!!! :-D

Dawn said...

My girls are waaaaay better cooks than I am. Rachel calls for recipes often. I refer her to J...since she lives with us and is our chief cook these days.
Zach's twin is a good cook, too. He loves to try new things.
Zach? cooking=Healthy Choice...at least before he married his dear Lori.
:)
I would much rather clean.
Sad, but true.

Caroline said...

My mom and I go back and forth--I call her to get a recipe and then she calls me for one or we even call to give recipes that were not asked for "remember to go to the store today and get the ingredients and then call me after you make it and tell me what you think" two days later, " did you make it yet?"

Abigail said...

I was just thinking this morning that I really really needed to call you for a recipe to make for tonight ...you know that lovely apple cake?! Wish I could call you for a little chat and a recipe - maybe soon!