Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the lone red verbena. . .


So, I had to take a picture of this lone verbena, the only one that thrives in my front flower bed--a verbena with a story. . .

You see, a week or so ago a man came by our house looking for yard work; he needed money for a bus ticket, and so John hired him to mow the front yard. He was a hard worker, zealous--maybe a little too zealous, for after the job, a meal, conversation and pay, I inspected the yard. Seems our worker didn't notice the borders, or perhaps with my haphazard flower gardening, he couldn't really see the borders--Lambs Ear, Lantana, Verbena mowed down . . .. I remember a similar scenario in the spring-this time in the backyard and with a different zealous worker; this fellow also came by the house and John hired him to mow; I guess he didn't notice the Mexican Petunia and Turks Cap sprouting between the pecan trees . . .mowed down,

Now then, I'm not complaining-afterall, most plants grow back or one can buy and barter new seedlings. This post is dedicated to my dear husband, who for 36 years has been feeding, clothing, sheltering, and creatively providing for those in need, demonstrating for me that blessed are the merciful. . .

3 comments:

Caroline said...

At least he picked the hardy varieties to mow down...they should come back, Lord willing.:) You are so good at using these "opportunities" to practice phil. 4:8-9. I am thankful for your example.

Amber said...

We too had some plants mowed over by some workers we had here fixing up the yard... I guess he couldn't see them through all the weeds! :)

Naomi Smith said...

mom, I keep coming back to this post - - it is as sweet reminder of papi's faithfulness. you are right - - he has been a tremendous example of finding creative ways to provide for individuals with needs!