Saturday, September 6, 2008

a worthy pursuit. . .

It was 1990 when I met Lynn-as I recall, we met at a homeschool function. Our youngest, Mercy and Anna, were two then; there was Mercy with round cheeks and tight dark braids and Lynn's Anna with spindley legs and sandy hair falling over small oval glasses. We were transitioning, Lynn's family from the Philippines and mine from Mexico-all looking to settle down in San Antonio, "to dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness."


A favorite quote hangs in Lynn's livingroom, framed, with blue accent: "Good commuication is like strong coffee and just as hard to sleep after." I love the sentiment; it reminds me of my friend Lynn, and like good strong coffee, our bounty of stimulating conversations--those swirling around books, music, food, gardening, family, the church-those dedicated to the beauty of the Savior and the cost of following Him fully. Over the sea of years, we pursued worthy conversation, shared our lives over good coffee and fresh lemonade, and often as I talked, Lynn listened-attentively, patiently, adding her thoughtful insights, cheerfully punctuating my chatter with, "Imagine that!"


As our good God unfolds his providence, five years ago my friend Lynn went to be with the Lord. Our youngest, Mercy and Anna, are nearly 20 years old--lovely girls, indeed; Anna and I agree that one day the framed quote with blue accent will hang in her home, one more precious memory of her mom. And me? here I am blogging--imagine that! As I tip-toe into computer communication, this post, the first of a worthy pursuit, is dedicated to Lynn.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Welcome to blogland!
Lovely post.
I look forward to reading more from you, Darcie.

Zach's mom,
Dawn
xo

Unknown said...

I love the dedication of blogs...first blogs, especially. Friends have a huge impact on our lives. I wonder who I'll be remembering 15 years from now when Am is 20..or who will be remembering me...welcome to blogging!

darcie said...

ladies, thanks for the encouragement!

Naomi Smith said...

bring it on, mom! bring it on!
I can't wait to see what wisdom comes my way through your blogging venture!

Caroline said...

Those kind of friends are precious and few...makes me want to cry. Keep up the good work! I hope to glean lots of wisdom and insight.

Jane said...

Oh, Darcie,
I am typing this through tears, of course--you know me! That first entry was so wonderful~~ and now your words which you used to send now-and-then through those wonderful mimeographed family newsletters will become more frequent and just--well, MORE. I praise God for enriching your life, my dear friend, with so MUCH that you are OVERFLOWING with His wisdom and grace. Thank you for allowing Him to let your coffee cup spill over a little bit into my life!!!

I love you, Darcie!~
Jane

Kelly said...

What a dear friendship you and Lynn shared and I was so thankful that you shared that friendship with me "over stamping"! :) Sweet, Christ centered friendship and fellowship is a worthy pursuit, indeed!