Sunday, January 4, 2015

to hoist sail and draw up anchor


When I walk a neighborhood I notice doors that extend an invitation, if you know what I mean?
 Doors seem to hold the promise of what's hidden on the other side - expected, unexpected, new and old, ordinary and exceptional, food, comfort, people, life sharing, beauty. . .
(maybe I'll photograph doors in 2015-  then I'll write about what's on the other side!)

Usually I give the new year door a hearty shove, but the 2015 door squeaks open inch by tiny inch. I'm tentative, not quite use to the thought - (even though John and I greeted the dawn of 2015 with the young and hearty. ) And really, whether I'm ready or not, I'm living a new day, new year, on the threshold.

If I try to swallow January 2015 in a huge 31 day chunk, then I can't catch enough breath. . .
So, there's the momentous, like retirement and a new grandson and turning 65. And there's the mundane, like paperwork and more paper, meetings, packing, preparing, traveling.
Heart- God gives daily grace, day after day, always new every morning grace.

Last week my dear friend texted me, "Read Year's End and New Year from Valley of Vision."
So I pulled my falling apart copy from books piled very high on the back of the sofa-
And the Lord renewed my courage,  renewed my vision for 2015. . .

"O Love Beyond Compare, Thou art good. . .

Thy goodness will be with me in the year ahead;
I hoist sail and draw up anchor. . .
I bless thee that thou hast veiled my eyes to the waters ahead.

If thou hast appointed storms of tribulation,
    thou wilt be with me in them;
If I have to pass through tempests of persecution and temptation,
    I shall not drown;
If I am to die,
    I shall see thy face the sooner;
If a painful end is to be my lot,
grant me grace that my faith fail not. . .
Only glorify thyself in me whether in comfort or trial,
    as a chosen vessel meet always for thy use."

Hmmm, Amen, so good. . .