Wednesday, December 31, 2014

preeminent (not prominent)

Last week we drove to Arkansas and celebrated Christmas together with Noah's family and Josiah's family. Ahh- the 2 baby boys and 3 little girls. . . they clear spaces for us and beg us to scoot close to their little bodies on the bench for meals. (of course, we give them candy)

Then yesterday we drove home from Memphis, a 12 hour trip; John drove the whole way and it was good. I read aloud, The Story of God, the Story of Us-   we talked about big, lofty, God focused thoughts, and when my voice wore out I dug out the knitting.  . .  then when my arms sort of fell off from knitting, I resumed reading.

I opened my journal, for tomorrow's a new year. . .it's good to review and remember.
There's lots scribbled in my journal, but here's just one thought for today and tomorrow and all the rest of the tomorrows in my earthly life. . .and yours.

"He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. . . 
so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything"
Colossians 1:17-18b

I've been asking myself, What does it look like for Christ to have preeminence (not merely prominence) in my life? Soul, since Christ is to have first place in everything, there's no picking and choosing! And if Christ is preeminent, He's got to be on the throne of my heart and affect how I live.
So, it all comes down to this for me-  I must choose to elevate Christ to the throne day after day, moment by moment, when I'm tempted to be angry with my husband, impatient with my family, tempted to take up an offense against my friend or to love with half a heart, listen with half an ear. . .

And lately, when fear inches into my mind, I've got to remember in 2015 that He Himself has first place in everything.