Tuesday, January 13, 2015

one about friendship



One morning last month I met Martha for coffee; my sweet friend and I share lots of life, a journey that stretches 2 decades. We're part of the same church community, mentor women,  co-lead a Bible study, but most  notably- my son is married to Martha's daughter and we share 3 darling grandchildren.

 Longevity with a friend is one of the sweetest parts of this earthly life, I think.
But all that mixing and sharing can provoke misunderstandings, untrue thinking, even envy- imagine that?
So, Martha and I work at our friendship; time sails on, days swallow days, and I'll get a call from Martha,
"Darcie, we need to have coffee!" 

 We keep our lives in the open, share desires, clarify doubts, pray for one another, and sometimes we talk about this season of life as we're slowing down joint by achy joint, growing  a little weary.  We remind each other truth about God. I have a text from Martha saved on my phone,

"Darcie, in my Bible reading yesterday I found a phrase which I think describes you and me: weary yet pursuing (Judges 8:4)!"

Indeed friend, let's keep it up. . .

One  morning last week Martha and I met over coffee. We shared Scripture and encouragement and we prayed together, this time for our grandchildren-  you see, this week we're sharing them, 8 days split in half (while their parents are anniversary vacationing!)
John and I claimed the first half- and last night we turned the children over to the other grandparents amid a flurry of blankets, pillows, school bags and trailing socks.
We keep praying;  now John and I are relaxing- the house is silent.

This morning Martha texted me that she found 11 widowed socks. . .11?? (John says that maybe the grandchildren's 11 socks are in the basket with his 20?)

Weary yet pursuing. . .

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You are blessed with such a friend.