Monday, January 26, 2015

new rhythm, new recipe

Here in Ohio I'm adjusting to Brett and Rachel's daily rhythm -  listening, observing, fitting in to a routine similar to mine yet different,  distinctly their own. . .

Early on weekday mornings I hear Brett in the kitchen, arranging the breakfast tray, making coffee, setting out toast, butter, jam, yogurt. I hear the rhythm of his voice chatting with his little Ivan in Spanish. I just listen in.

Newtons love scones- so I brought along a new recipe, untested but looking really delicious.  I discovered this one printed in the winter mailing from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.

One morning Rachel and I  whipped them up  and loved the toasty oat flavor!

Oatmeal Scones

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
10 T. butter, cold, cut into cubes
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla

Spread oats evenly onto baking sheet and toast at 375 until lightly golden and fragrant (8-10 min)
Cool. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk together milk, cream, egg, vanilla. In separate bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in oats, then liquid mixture until just combined; with floured hands knead until dough forms a cohesive mass. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7" round about 1" thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place each on a lined baking sheet.
Optional: with thumb, make a small indentation in the middle of each scone and fill with 1 T of good jam or marmalade. Bake until golden, 12-14 minutes. Serve with butter or stiff cream or simply plain!

(I toasted the oats the night before and used all milk, whatever kind that was in the fridge.  I did the thumb indentation and jam-- which was so lovely and delicious! I baked these scones just 12 minutes.)



1 comment:

Rachel said...

First: I love that you very kindly gave me credit for helping you "whip these up." I'm pretty sure I was fast asleep on the sofa....

Second! I'm looking this recipe up on Jan. 17, 2016. This time I WILL whip them up (by myself to make up for last time), and we will think of you as we munch on them -- how dear you are to us, what a wonderful example you are, what a source of encouragement and wisdom. Happy Birthday dear Mom!