Wednesday, September 3, 2014

He writes their story

 When we visit our Syracuse family in the summer, we go out for ice cream- it's tradition; our favorite spot is Arctic Island where I love to wait my turn, surveying the menu of ice cream flavors  printed in columns on old cracked walls. Folks up north know how to do ice cream stands.



There's something broadening and delightful about sharing new experiences with our grown up kids.
We stand on the outside, taking in the spinning gears of their lives--but honestly, sometimes it feels strange, lonely;  I tell myself that the changing dynamics of families is God's good plan.

Sometimes Scripture comes to rest in my mind with an unexpected application--especially when the character of our God is on display. And right here the truth of Acts 17:26 helps to untangle my heart.


 "From one man God made every nation of men, that 
they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined 
the times set for them and the exact places where they should live."

The Master designer has determined that my children would grow up and be involved in relationships, geographical locations, experiences and worthy pursuits apart from me and outside of our home that would powerfully influence and shape them. He is writing the story of each of their lives-perfectly.

So, today I tell myself again. . .if I am going to love my children well, I must worship God as Sovereign.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Frequently your blog posts are so true, beautiful, thoughtful and deep that I honestly can't respond with words, at least right away. So please know that that your efforts are very much appreciated. I love your heart and am so thankful that you are willing to bathe it in truth and share so sweetly and honestly; Your thoughts have nourished my heart often. With much love from a faithful reader and notorious lurker!

Dawn said...

Debbie said it best!
Yes.
<3