Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September. . .and a few worthy pursuits

I've been knitting away for my favorite little boys - and during our summer road trip I delivered 2 striped hats with ear flaps and a blue sweater with wooden buttons and a shawl collar to the ones in Arkansas, Tennessee, New York. It's September and soon enough they'll be ready for warm wool.

I think it's about time for some pink- this Lottie Cardigan is for Eleanor in New York; I love the garter stitch texture and couldn't resist the yarn called raspberry. (bright bright, what will her sweet mama think?)


In this season when my routine isn't precisely framed, sometimes I wander, trying to discern the worthy pursuits God has for me- then I pray, Lord, teach me the way that I should walk. . .teach me to do your will because you are my God.
And He does. . .

Last week John and I stayed with 4 dear children from our church family while their parents were out of town. It was so so good for us to remember the scene and to tackle daily meals for 6, diapers, chores, homework, park evenings, bedtime routines- and all the rest, including their hearts.
One day we argued about how he handled some contention, and later we asked forgiveness, me for being critical and him for being defensive; a bit amused, we asked each other "How did we ever handle that one with our own 8-- do you remember?"
Ahh, this opportunity, a worthy pursuit, and to think their parents trusted us.

And last week women's Bible study started up at church; this year I'll lead a small group with my dear friend- Martha and I are  mother-in-laws together, have been for almost 15 years and we share  grandchildren.  We've worked in women's ministry at Believers Fellowship for lots of years but this will be our first time to partner; I'm anticipating good things and growth. . .Martha tells me that she'll learn from me this year, but really, I think the same about her. One day I surveyed the roster of women in our group and I texted her,

"Martha, I don't know half of the women in our group!"
"I know-  I'm excited to get to know so many new women!" she immediately returned my text.

You see, already I'm learning from her. . .


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That moment when both of my moms show up in the same blog...sweet. Looking forward to hearing how the small group goes...Let me know if you need a guest speaker to bridge the gap between you two...(just kidding)...