Monday, September 29, 2014

bearing long in love

A few weeks ago I set out tiny seedlings for our fall vegetable garden, 6 broccoli, 4 cauliflower, lots of kale, and already the cooler mornings and evenings encourage lovely growth. A few basil plants sprouted from dropped seed; those little beauties should produce bunches of basil until a December freeze--hummm, tomato basil soup on a chilly day!
I can usually think of ways to use the broccoli but creativity with cauliflower challenges me-mainly I love to see the contrast, snowy white cauliflower heads among a garden of greens! I've earmarked two cauliflower plants for my friend, Kate. She feeds her family lots of vegetables and makes cauliflower rice!


Kate and I have been studying Ephesians for months; one afternoon last week we slid into the booth at our usual coffee shop and opened up to Ephesians 4.  "This was so so good for me!" we agreed, almost in unison.

Well, God's living Word is always good. . . but sometimes He uses his Word to drive me deeper into his heart; perhaps it's just because I'm ready to hear. It's like the King has set the table, prepared his feast, graciously served it - and I'm hungry. I love when a friend on the same journey (although in a different season) affirms the impact.

I urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling for which you have been called, 
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 
eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Eph 4:1-3)

So, Kate and I had lots on our minds to share personally about the good Word that day, and it still  rumbles around inside me. . .
walk worthy of the calling to which you have been called. . .that calling is the Gospel call on my life! bearing with one another in love . . .  I ask myself, "Amid personal conflicts do I bear long in love. . .not giving up on relationships, not turning away when its hard?"

No, not always, not often enough. . .I'm remembering today that when a relationship is strained, I need to respond in loving tolerance, with patience and humility.
I need this gospel challenge today- because forbearing love begins with me. . .




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been studying through Ephesians too. Are you using anything to help you through? I was interested in a study guide or something. Anyway, I'm so excited to do gardening with you this week! And, I've been making cauliflower rice too! And roasted cauliflower, and cauliflower soup!

darcie said...

We're using "By His Wounds You Are Healed (how the message of Ephesians transforms a woman's identity)" by Wendy Horger Alsup. We call it the purple book and it's been good. Looking forward to getting my hands in the dirt with you too!

Courtney Ward said...

Thank you for the transparency. It is especially timely (as usual:)