Friday, August 29, 2014

common tears

Yesterday as I signed the check-in clipboard at my dentist's office, I peered under my eyelids at the dental assistant seated at the counter--she's worked alongside the good dentist for 20 years; I remember when her children were just babes.

"So, did you get him off?" I asked. my voice barely audible.
Her tears welled up instantly, spilling over. It was so fresh- she'd just taken her oldest to college in Boston, to the New England Conservatory, no less.

She ushered me to the treatment room and as we waited, she shared her mother's heart struggle--it's so good but it's so hard and I agreed. Then my appointment was all finished, quick, pretty much it was just a professional chat with the good dentist- in fact I almost didn't need to be there. but then I did. . .

Gathering up my chart she asked, "Where's your purse?" and we lingered by the door. I hugged her again, "This is God's good plan for our children- you know,  change is almost always perceived as loss. . .it will be okay, he'll write or call or text- trust God with your boy and with all the tomorrows." I assured.

Then we cried together-- and Why me?  my boys and girls sailed off to college and beyond long ago.  But we're the mamas peering  over the edge from the outside into our kids' new lives. . . and again it's all so fresh.
hmm, mutual reassurance is good- as is the dampness of shared tears.


Ahh, Coneflowers in Ohio- wish I could get these beauties to grow in my yard ini Texas!


4 comments:

Dawn said...

My oldest granddaughter goes off to college next weekend. My daughter is having a few moments this week ….of remembering. Many sighs. Happy for my granddaughter, but wondering where the time went.

Unknown said...

Your dentist’s visit definitely had a great purpose. Not only did you have your teeth checked, but you were also a shoulder to cry on for your dentist’s assistant. Well, it’s never easy to let go of your children. But as a parent, you know you have to for them to grow. Have a great day!

Kenny Green @ Anchorage Healthy Smiles

Unknown said...

It’s so nice to know that some dentists aren’t only there for your teeth, but you could also share experiences and stories with them. Though it’s not surprising if most people are friends with their dentist. Most of them are really kind and friendly. Thank you for sharing this heartwarming post, Darcie!


Weston Wadlington @ Peak Family Dentistry

Unknown said...

Being able to share your sympathies shows that you both have built a great rapport with each other, and it’s really nice to see this kind of relationship. You’re not just a client for her, you have also become a great friend. Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story with us. All the best!


Jared Moss @ Westlake Dental Center