Monday, February 20, 2012

thinking about a good book. . .

So-for 2012 I have a nice stack of new books. . .
Last week I spent a day at the city court waiting to be called for a jury panel. I brought along a book to pass the time, hoping that a fellow juror might say, "hmm, looks interesting-tell me about that book!"
But nobody asked. . .finally in the afternoon, still waiting, I noticed a woman sitting near me and inquired, "Excuse me, I've heard about that book you're reading- tell me it!"
We began a conversation-but shortly she was called for a jury panel. Oh well. . .

Forever, by Paul David Tripp, was the book I stuck in my bag that day -a really good book.
We know that God set eternity in human hearts. . . how, then, does the promise of eternity impact my daily living? What difference does forever make in our relationships, our parenting, our jobs? How does a forever perspective affect hope and faith and suffering and our view of God? Because if we were created for forever, then forever should impact today; really, it should. . .
And I'm challenged to make that happen- connect eternity with today. How do I weigh my experiences? This is a real question for me. . . if I only weigh my experiences on the scale of this present moment, I end up questioning the goodness and faithfulness of God. I'd say that Forever is a personal book with practical application. The last chapter is titled The Joy of Forever, Right Here, Right Now.
A worthy pursuit, indeed.

1 comment: