Sunday, February 5, 2012

leftovers

So-we're in a new year and it's time to wrap up these posts on thinking biblically about respect. . . always there are leftover thoughts that don't quite fit.
Last fall I brainstormed this topic with my daughter and she shared that one day a woman asked her, "Who do you call when your husband drives you crazy?"
"Who? well, I don't call anybody. . ." (and I was really really glad that she didn't say, I call my mother!)
I'm very aware of my potential to influence younger women. . .and the influence can go either way-I can encourage a woman to obey God's command to respect her husband or I can be a stumbling block, either a huge boulder or a tiny pebble.
When I visit one of my girls, I notice that the dairy products are all arranged on the middle shelf of the refrigerator, ". . .so that my husband can easily find them", she tells me.
Great, but at my house-for 40 years, my husband has never mentioned how he would like me to arrange the refrigerator (he's happy when the refrigerator has food!)
Our homes are different that way-but do you notice how I could make a comment about her husband's preference that might plant a question or disrespectful thought?
If you're an older woman like me, take care not to "go fishing"-don't solicit information from a younger woman that might lead to a disrespectful thought, comment, or attitude.

A few weeks ago I sat across the desk from a financial counselor at my bank. He mentioned that statistically wives out live their husbands. And I thought about the woman described in Proverbs 31, "She does her husband good and not harm all the days of her life."
I've been married 40 years to a good man; we don't know the future, however, if I out live him. . . then I want to model that woman in Proverbs 31:12 who respected her husband and his reputation, doing him good. . . all the days of her life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Darcie! Wise, helpful and comforting as always!

Donna