Wednesday, January 11, 2012

just a small black book and a new year


I chose a jar of blueberry jam from the family gift exchange basket-and one morning after Christmas I made scones and opened the jam.
"Mom! jam with scones?" Rachel questioned. Well, usually it's toast and jam, but that morning I couldn't resist that lovely jam. . .
Every year I buy a new calendar the week after Christmas-a simple habit.
Last week Gabrielle, Rachel and Jamey were discussing calendars and planners, making choices, customizing their own--and I listened, impressed by their commitment to manage time and responsibilities.
So, the holiday dust has settled and I'm looking at my desk that resembles a volcano. . .and my small black calendar book; it's basic black with little squares for each day in 2012 and a lined page opposite. This one should suit me fine.
hmm, what do I want and anticipate from 2012. . .? Well, mostly I want to filter the entire year through an eternal lense, like I want to write created for forever in each little square in my black book, and then live it. . .
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. (C.S. Lewis)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite quotes. I also loved seeing your cute new little planner. And I loved hugging you, eating that amazing soup, chatting just like we used to... but with all those lovely Newton and Tippey gals. :) love you so much Darc and miss you tons!

Kelly Hickman said...

WoW! Can I share your comment, " Well, mostly I want to filter the entire year through an eternal lense, like I want to write created for forever in each little square in my black book, and then live it. . ." with others? Love that!

Vicki Schrauger said...

Darcie,
I used your quote for my facebook status and attached your blog site.

I spend so much time on what doesn't last at all, but I do want my time and efforts to be spent on eternity.

Thanks for each of your posts.
They challenge us and spur us on to good works.

Anonymous said...

Have you read Paul Tripps book called just this... "forever"? Just digging into it for the New Year myself...great wisdom so far.I think you'd enjoy it. Blessings...