Friday, January 6, 2012

a home for the lonely

Our friend, Ralph, lives in the room above our garage-he's in and out, using parts of our house; we're glad he's here.
So, on New Years Eve John and I, Rachel, Brett and Mercy prepared dinner (I harvested the huge white cauliflower from the front garden!)
Ralph was with us in the kitchen, washing his dishes; then I heard Brett initiate, "Ralph, does your family have any New Year's traditions?"
"I don't have a family," he said.
I wanted to run in there- to emphatically remind Ralph, "We're your family, remember?. . .and remember, the church is your family!"
God is a father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows. . .God makes a home for the lonely. (Ps 68:5-6)
God makes a home. . . God puts the lonely in families.
So- on the threshold of 2012, I'm thinking alot about how I can cooperate with God- making a home for our friend, giving him a taste for the Kingdom-loving others more, loving myself less. . .for Jesus sake.


And reflecting on family. . .we just met sweet Evelyn, our newest member- born at the close of 2011

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that sort of grips my heart. and it reminds me somehow of the Page CXVI version of Come Thou Fount where they add a chorus something like "Come along with me to the Kingdom of God..."

kat said...

"We're your family, remember?. . .and remember, the church is your family! "God is a father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows. . .God makes a home for the lonely. (Ps 68:5-6)God makes a home. . . God puts the lonely in families."

Indeed.