Tuesday, January 24, 2012

extravagance

One evening last week John and I picked up Julia and Landis for a trip to the Broadway Central Market; we planned to choose treats from the delectable pastry case, a date to celebrate my birthday.
While John held Landis up to the glass, explaining the delights of all things chocolate, Julia and I discussed the sweet items that appealed to me.
"Look, Julia, you could choose a mini eclair, a mini cream puff, or these darling petite fours."
"No, they're not big enough", she replied.
hmmm, what might a wise grandparent say? You know, she might talk about moderation, or appetite, or the perils of too much sugar.
"Darling, choose whatever you'd like!" I said.
And she did- a huge chocolate cupcake with glossy chocolate icing, topped with the biggest butter cream rose, pink. . ."because that's my favorite color!" she told the bakery lady.
Julia ate it all and I was happy to be extravagant on my birthday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and she was happy you were extravagant on her birthday too...I wonder if it surprised her that you said yes, because I'm sure she asks for that cupcake every single time we go, and we always say no; I'm so glad you said yes!

naomi said...

mom, this made me smile . . . it reminded me - last week our little (um, slightly spoiled and cantankerous) neighbor boy came over to hang out while his mama ran errands. while he was here we had dinner; I invited him to eat with us . . . "what's for dinner?" he asked. He didn't like the dinner option . . . and I almost told him that he needed to eat what the rest of us ate or note eat at all.
(wow, I'm hard sometimes)
I realized that what this little guy needed was to eat at a table with a family
(and not a lesson on grateful eating)
and so I made him a quesadilla (just the way he liked it - - toasted just right, with just the right kind of cheese, and not too much of it)

your post made me extra glad that I was extravagant :)