Wednesday, June 9, 2010

for the love of cat fish. . .and the neighbors

Today is my husband's first day off of school for the summer. . . at this moment he is in the front yard with 15 pounds of cat fish and the neighbors. . .shouldn't surprise me-I've been married to this man for 37 years.
Early this morning, Dan, our corner neighbor, called John about the cat fish-fresh caught yesterday; usually Dan cleans and fillets the fish, but sometimes his arthritis flairs up. . .and now a more pending health concern.
I dislike catfish, really. But for a long time now Dan has given us cat fish and I've learned to cook it for John (and sometimes I eat it too!)
today I'm thinking about the houseful of family arriving-today and tomorrow-I'm thinking that we could just bury the cat fish in the garden (or in the trash?)
the south Texas humidity drips, the thermometer inches up above 80-it's early morning and my husband has 15 pounds of ugly, bad catfish on the front lawn. . .

Not to worry. . . this good man knocked on the neighborhood doors, "free catfish, come on over!" And they came- it's a congregation on my front lawn with knives chopping heads, fins, tails, guts and fish blood and juice.
And there's conversation, I can hear it-one neighbor we only exchange Hi and bye, he's here too, on my front lawn, chopping fish with my husband and talking.
hmmm, it's good to see the neighbors come out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.