Thursday, June 3, 2010

Celebrating the Gospel. . .

I'm reading Comforts from the Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick- for the third time, evidenced by the distinct coffee ring (and is that raspberry jam?) on the book cover.
The book's subtitle, Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time, reveals its focus on daily gospel reminders; the book includes 31 days of gospel meditations, a 2-3 page portion for each day of the month.
I need to feed my soul that way-gospel truth day after day after. . .
Today I read Day 19: into the confusion and suffering of this world, our Saviour speaks peace and hope in the gospel, "In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." the reality of the resurrection speaks powerfully into my circumstances today.
And the author reminds her readers, "Peace begins to fill my soul when I remember the truth of the gospel: I am more sinful and flawed than I ever dared believe, more loved and welcomed than I ever dared hope. I deserve less than nothing but have been given everything."
Lately I've been drinking in the gospel, back and forth. . . alternating between The Gospel Primer (Milton Vincent) and Comforts from the Cross.
So good and highly recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

oh, I will think of you as I read the copy you gave me for my birthday!
p.s. all my good books have coffee rings on them too.