Sunday, November 1, 2009

fond associations

Today I'm wearing Abigail's cordoroy jacket with lovely painted buttons-the one she passed on to me last year; I'm thinking about Nathaniel and Abi in London, thinking about their Sunday at Christ Church Bromley. I'm imagining what it might be like to enjoy fellowship after evening worship with tea and toasties (grilled cheese!)

And-I'm thinking about my dear friend, Pam. . . for you see, along with Abi's jacket, today I'm wearing Pam's blue blue sweater-the one she knit, and then decided it would be a better fit for me! In July we had a flurry of visits planned in the San Francisco Bay Area; it didn't look asthough I could fit in a visit with Pam, however, my sweet husband made it work- there we were in Menlo Park, at Pam's door for lunch! Ah. . .to be thankful for just an hour or two-a surge of conversation, even sweet tears, a visit to the garden, pictures of grandchildren, knitting and ministry talk, catching up fast; then we exchanged books: I gave her The Gospel Primer by Milton Vincent and she gave me Safely Home by Randy Alcorn (which John and I read aloud together during the rest of our road trip.)

hmmm. . .it's been a good day with fond associations.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

oh- that is a nice blue! I bet it looks wonderful on you mom...
I enjoy fond associations too - thanks for sharing

Rachel said...

I quite approve of Pam's choice. That's one of the best blues I've seen in a while, and I agree with Abi -- I bet it DOES look wonderful on you ("with your pretty blue eyes," as I would say to little Selma).
I love these little glimpses into your summer trip and resulting conversations (makes me look forward to MY conversations with you!).