Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ask/Answer for discipleship

I ask a lot of questions (maybe too many?). . . for discipleship, I've discovered that asking good questions creates an atmosphere where a woman shares her life with me.
So-I ask Tell me about questions:
Tell me how you came to know the Lord?
-about your family growing up?
-about an important person in your life?
-how you met your husband? one thing you learned about him after you were married? what you love about Christ's body, the church? Tell me about your day, the high and low? about a challenge? a temptation? how you battled sin this week? how you were encouraged by Scripture?. . .and more.
And I ask How can I questions: How can I help you? Encourage you? Pray for you? basically, I'm asking, "What's on your mind?. . .What do you want to talk about today."
If asking questions seems unnatural, practice with someone else. . . sometimes John and I practice questions on our Sunday drive to church; then we're ready to talk personally with those the Lord brings our way.
Recently I was driving to an event with a young woman I'm getting to know-I was asking questions. . . .then she stopped me, "Wait, you're always asking about me, how are you doing today?" Good, I thought, now we're both sharing our lives!
So, if I'm going to be dishing out the questions, then I'd better be ready to share some answers! Don't fear discipleship because you don't have all the answers. I encourage a woman to come with her own questions about whatever- then I pray, "Lord, today when she comes to me with questions, help me to humbly answer and to know when I can't. . ."

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Since I missed the Titus 2, I have really been enjoying (and have been anticipating) being able to hear what you shared. Best part, though, is that you live it before you share it.....so just know...I've got you ALL figured out, friend! :) Thanks for being a blessing in my life!

Dawn said...

It is no wonder that people love to talk with you, Darcie!
What a blessing!
xo

Cynthia said...

I just clicked next blog and fell on your blog. What a blessing to "bump into" a sister in the Lord. I'll be bookmarking your blog. If you want to come over to my blog for coffee, I'd be happy to have you. I'm at www.womanwithpurpose.blogspot.com
I love your others, then yourself attitude.

Cynthia said...

Snow... not here. We actually had a rain storm here today. Enjoy the snow we would so love to have. :)