Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Available for discipleship

So being affectionately desireous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us. (1 Thess 2:8)

Our call to disciple women is about being available-simply available; I like to imagine how it might have looked for the Apostle Paul, desireous to share himself with the dear Thessalonian believers.

And me? normally I don't ask a woman directly, "Would you like me to disciple you?" I might suggest that we meet for coffee some time, and if she's interested-well, I pull out my calendar on the spot, and make a date! then I see where it leads, wait and watch-our date may develop into regular planned meetings or occasional meetings; am I discipling this woman? whatever it's called, I try to be available.
These days, I have lots of time to pursue discipleship with few distractions-but what about women who have more time restrictions? I'm encouraged as I watch. . .a group of women from my church gather regularly for park day, including menu planning-and in the midst, they're available to one another and discipleship opportunities abound!
Remember, discipleship isn't about putting coffee dates on the calendar. . .it's not so much what we do but what we give and who we are in every encounter.
A caution regarding time restrictions and busy lives. . . I've noticed that busy-ness cuts into availabilty. I've heard, "I was going to call you, but I know you are soooo busy!" Uggh. . . do I appear soooo busy?
And perhaps I really am too busy with stuff that doesn't matter for eternity?
just so you know-if you want to meet me for coffee, I'll make the time. . .


3 comments:

Cat said...

This is a wonderful, encouraging, and uplifting post, Darcie. It gives me hope. Thanks :D

Amber said...

I would love to meet for coffee ;)

Francey said...

I LOVE being discipled by you and I love YOU!