Wednesday, November 11, 2009

all about buttons

My friend Liz told her little boys, Isaiah and Josesph, that I was coming to visit; I arrived and they shouted, "Hello, Mrs. Buttons!" Newton? Buttons? what a sweet name-and I do love buttons.
During our summer road trip I was knitting on the pieces of this vest, organic cotton-lovely color (I almost chose brown. . .)
So, while in Petaluma with my family, the girls had an outting to The Knitterly, the local yarn shop-I asked my nieces Meredith and Alyssa to choose some buttons for my vest. Alyssa, who had just returned from a semester in Costa Rica, thought my vest should have red buttons, but Meredith, the artist, dessented- hmmm, not red-red, but maybe. . . .
I love the memory of my sweet nieces pouring over tubes of buttons-gracious, intent on my request.
I've completed the vest and sewn on the wonderful buttons- I find myself telling the button story-about the buttons and the girls- to anyone expressing even a pinch of interest.
Speaking of buttons. . .in August Mercy took a jar of my buttons to college and last weekend she finished her project: shoes, hot glue gun, beautiful buttons -creative girl!

3 comments:

Michigan Kate said...

You know what's funny? I've actually seen buttons and thought of you : )

Cute shoes Mercy!

Kate

Unknown said...

yay Mercy for finishing the project you started here at my house! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Naomi Smith said...

oh no! one of Mercy's nails is not perfectly painted!
good thing those shoes are so stinkin cute; no one should notice!