Friday, July 31, 2009

to delight in the differences

I like to ask a girl who has been married for a short time, "What is something you've learned about your husband that you didn't know before you got married?" The answers are so often sweet and simple.
I asked Abigail the question, ". . .Nathaniel likes his food hot", she said (unlike the Newtons who like food spicey hot, but like pizza hot out of the oven!)
So, traveling on this road trip with John for 4 1/2 weeks reminds me of the many things I love about this man and also the things about us that are different.
For instance-he relishes a hearty breakfast, but please-just give me toast and jam with coffee.
As for driving- he loves the windy steep roads along the Mendicino Coast-roads like a rollercoaster, but not me; I ask him, "Is this fun for you?". . . he just smiles.
And as we get weary of the road routine, I notice this itch. . .I get itchy to write-searching for pen and notebook, pulling out the lap top. . .and he gets itcy to ride, to get his bicycle off the car and onto the ground.
Ah, it's good; I remind myself to delight in our differences. . .and then there's the opportunity to practice forbearance, right?
Walk in a worthy manner. . .with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to oneanother in love. . . (Eph 4:2)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The differences are fun to observe, aren't they? More fun I guess after the initial shock wears off. Now I find myself noticing how we've grown more and more like each other....that can be funny!

Kelly said...

As someone who loves to listen to quartets and acappella groups, I am reminded that without differences, there would be no harmony. Those very times when we "sing" a different tune can be the very "melody" that makes our marriages the most beautiful! What a wonderful thought to consider how throughout this trip you are unified in purpose, yet living in harmony for His glory!

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

when you asked me that question I really had to think! so quickly those differences become part of our own lives, almost as if the quirks are part of us too and we learn to anticipate how the other will respond .... <3 being married gets better and better!