Friday, July 10, 2009

a hitch hiker named Trimothy

Since leaving home on July 1, we've driven 2,000 miles-sigh, so many adventures and opportunities to share. Monday we were driving between Four Corners and Page, Arizona when we sailed past a man on the roadside, a hitch hiker.
John asked me,"What do you think? . . .should we pick up that guy?"
"Sure", I said.
"and may it be to God's glory. . ." he said, making the U-turn.
So, we shoved our stuff to one side and the hitch hiker squeezed into the back seat. A friendly fellow, he'd been standing on the road in the blazing mid-day sun; he was grateful for water. He'd been working in Phoenix and was heading home to his family in nearby Keyenta-on the Indian Reservation. Our hitch hiker is a Navajo Indian--and so we talked about his culture, his past. . .
Then John asked, "Have you heard the gospel of Jesus Christ?"
And then he told us his story: He'd been to a tent revival, had heard the gospel and read the Bible; he'd turned from the tribal traditions-although his parents and grandparents still believed that way. "I decided that it's better to be saved than not. . .", he told us.
Amazing, we thought. . .
So about 25 miles down the road in Keyenta we dropped him at home, "What's your name?" asked John
"Trimothy-like Timothy with an R", he said.
God speed, Trimothy. . .and to God be the glory.

5 comments:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile and I just wanted to let you know what a blessing it is. I love how you write about how ministry within your everyday life. Thanks for sharing!

(I don't know if you remember me but I was roommates with Abigail in college and friends with Josh & Naomi as well and I found your blog through one of theirs.)

Amber said...

What an awesome story and what a good reminder! Thanks for sharing Darcie!

Dawn said...

Great post, Darcie!
You ARE keeping a journal on all your travels?
:)

Kelly said...

"To GOD, indeed, be the glory."

Naomi Smith said...

mom, I love you guys so much. I love your willingness to risk yourselves, I love you boldness in loving people . . .this post made me cry.