Thursday, August 6, 2009

Give me the ocean. . .

Last month I asked a Texas friend what she likes to do for outdoor fun. . ."I love the ocean, Port Aransas, the Gulf coast", she said.
And I thought, The ocean?. . .the gulf? Couldn't be. . .
So, when John and I arrived in lovely Monterrey, we rode our bicycles along the Pacific coast- I stopped to take pictures, to record the ocean-the expanse, foamy waves, craggy rocks, kelp (I love the kelpy smell!) shelled creatures, to smell the tangy air, hear the ocean fowl. . .the Gulf is God's unique creation, but it's not the Pacific Ocean!
However, the best part of our stay in Monterrey was visiting Carol-a long time friend from our early married days; we were young Christians, just dipping into God's truth- Carol encouraged us then . . .and now. So, we talked of the past 20 years, of God's goodness, of his continual involvement in our lives.
Carol and I opened the Bible- she shared her renewed commitment to memorize God's Word. A highlighted 3 x 5 card read,

"Hence, also, He is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them"(Hebrews 7:25)
Carol said to me, "I love to meditate on that Word uttermost-Jesus is able to save to the uttermost. . ."
Ah, a good friend -a worthy reminder.

4 comments:

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

mmm ....... the OCEAN.
i was just reading all your vacation posts and it was so restful and encouraging to "tag along" on your trip (and to see you for part of it).

Abigail said...

indeed - the pacific ocean is a special place. what a treat to picnic on the beach and visit old friends!

Abigail said...

oh and I love your hat!

Jane said...

Darcie, I am finally sitting down to peruse your vacation blog, and it's wonderful to see you with Carol! She always encourages me with snippets from God's Word, and this is a good reminder to keep on memorizing like she does! If the Word of God is overflowing in us, hopefully HIS thoughts will spill out when we are bumped and jostled and prodded by this, that or the other thing that comes along!