Monday, April 6, 2009

some heart examination. . .


A few weeks ago I was reading through Proverbs 30 and I bumped up to this verse:

If you have been foolish in exalting yourself. . .put your hand on your mouth (Prov 30:32)

hmmm, foolish in exalting myself? yes, that applies to me. . . Put your hand on your mouth-a good practical reminder of what to do when tempted by pride. . . close my mouth.

And as God is ever faithful to discipline and grow me in Christ, last week I had opportunities- hand on mouth opportunities- in my numerous interactions with people and related to some personal circumstances (the kind I'd prefer to change. . .you know how that is).

However, the remedy to self-exaltation is not simply hand on mouth. . .it goes right to the source, to my heart.

Lord, help me to constantly examine my heart, weeding out even a hint of self-exaltation, that You alone would receive the glory. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a very good reminder..by the way, thanks so much for watching my kids last weekend, it seems we haven't crossed paths this week for me to tell you!

Abigail said...

yes thanks for the reminder