Sunday, April 26, 2009

picture books in my bag. . .

I usually carry at least one good children's book in my book bag. . .afterall, what if I drop in on my grandgirls impromptu or visit a friend who has an eager little listener?

Picture books by Maj Lindman are among my favorites. I imagine my mother, a kindergarden teacher, first read them to me fifty years ago. . .
Swedish author-artist Maj Lindman (1886-1972) wrote and illustrated stories about thee little Swedish boys, Snip, Snap, and Snurr and three little girls, Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka (books originally published in the U. S. in the 1930's.)

So the story goes in Snipp, Snapp, Snurr and the Red Shoes. . . these lads decided to buy their mother the perfect birthday present-a pair of red shoes! So they set out to earn some money. Snipp painted a fence. . .Snapp cleaned a chimney. . . Snurr worked in a flour mill; things didn't go exactly as planned, but in the end, their hard work paied off and Mother was surprised and delighted with her red shoes. . .( the part I like best-the mother gets new red shoes!)

I just purchased Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and the New Dotted Dresses for a special little girl, and at the same time I ordered Benjamin West and his Cat Grimalkin (Marguerite Henry) for Malachai's sixth birthday (Shhh!). This one, about the little Quaker boy who grew up to be a famous American painter, is a wonderful read aloud. Our little guy will love it-I can just imagine his face-and his curiosity. . . .

2 comments:

godnov said...

We love the Maj Lindman books as well! My Swedish grandmother read them to my mom who read them to me and now I am reading them to our girls... such sweet stories and so much fun to pass on the tradition. :)

Thanks for your post on contentment as well... so encouraging!

~Elizabeth

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

I remember mom sitting and reading Benjamin West to us as we sat and water-colored or played with Legos on hot summer days when sitting still was all one could do! What a lovely gift - you're such a wonderful grandma :D