Monday, April 20, 2009

mornings at my house. . .



Oh Lord, in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch (Psalm 5)

My house has lovely windows. . . .and on spring mornings sun floods in, creating light patterns on the floors and walls. I use to tell my sons: It's spring-window washing time; remember, boys, women love a little beauty! Alas, the window washing brigade has diminished . . .

Unless I have a guest, most early mornings are quiet, just me at home-I love the time to sit alone with the Lord, reading the Word; this month I have The Attributes of God (A.W. Pink) with my Bible.

Hmmm. . .I'm thinking about 30 years ago when John and I were studying Spanish at the Rio Grande Bible Institute in Edinburg, on the border. I would nurse wee Naomi at 5AM and then drag a kitchen chair onto the patch of cement outside our bungalow, relieved to catch a whisper of cool air, grateful for a whisper of time in God's Word. . .a good memory.

And lately I've been making a new muffin recipe for the mornings, good with coffee and to share:
healthy banana-blueberry muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas (3/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 375, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, salt. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars, add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition; in another bowl mash bananas, stir in milk and vanilla. Combine flour mixture, butter mixture, and banana; stir gently and fold in frozen blueberries. Pour batter into 12 cup muffin pan, bake 18-20 minutes.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like wonderful, peaceful mornings! And the BEST of recipes!

Kelly said...

I cannot help but wonder if on those mornings that I am sitting quietly reading, if I might a hear the reminder from the Lord as He looks into the window of my heart, "Window washing time -- I love a little beauty!" :)

Naomi Smith said...

oooh! It's good to to hear that I was a refining tool from the very beginning!

. . . and I love these morning light pictures, mom; beautiful!