Monday, February 10, 2014

grateful

This week's our anniversary- I pulled out the recipe for our favorite clam chowder.
I am grateful for this man I married 42 years ago, but I've discovered about myself. . .
If I don't choose to remember why I'm grateful, day by day, then criticism creeps into my heart, overshadowing anything praise worthy.

John and I enjoy watching films at home together. I usually choose them with our individual interests in mind and my husbands trusts me to line up a varied queue. I know he likes the films where the teacher makes a difference. . .

Last week we watched Temple Grandin, a film about a woman with autism; she grew up in the 60's when little was known about her condition. So, after we moped up the emotion and gave the film our personal 5 stars, my husband shared his own teacher story. . .

You see- one day during his break, my husband climbed into the jumping pit for a bit of a rest, pulled the parachute under his chin and closed his eyes; the gym door slid open and the special education class clamored in with their assistants. So- feigning sleep but peering under eye slits, he observed 2 little ones creeping his way, up and into the jumping pit.

" I felt a peck on my forehead and a slobbery kiss, like a lick, on my cheek, a torrent of giggles. . .those are my autistic kids." he told me.

And I'm grateful for him. . .



2 comments:

Dawn said...

Of course, you are.
42 years.
For us as well…come June.

Sweet story shared.

Happy Anniversary.
D xo

Debbie said...

If I don't choose to remember why I'm grateful, day by day, then criticism creeps into my heart, overshadowing anything praise worthy.

This is so true in my life, too. I've allowed the creeping criticism more often than I'd like to admit (pride, right?). Thank-you for another beautiful and worthy post. So thankful for you, Darcie :) Oh, and this is our anniversary week, too...23 years on the 16th!