Monday, January 6, 2014

about discernment

I'm thinking about the conversations that happened in my toasty, cramped kitchen during Christmas week.. .  not that my kitchen is especially conducive to worthy talk, but the oven heats it up and the girls make it happen. (and I get to be in the middle. . .)

One girl narrated intense challenges at her work place, "I need discernment. . .I need it!"
God gives discernment- cry out for it!


But I know that helpless feeling. . . what decision? which way to turn? how to respond, encourage, challenge? whether to let it go or bring it up? whether to do it now or later, to speak or keep silent?

I'm growing old- and I need discernment more than ever, so it seems.
"Your testimonies are wonderful. . .the unfolding of your words gives light, it imparts understanding to the simple." (Ps 119)

And the other day, at the onset of a new year, I read Proverbs 2.
I thought about my girls, and me, and you, with the resolution to read, pray, remember, remind. . .

Make your ear attentive to wisdom; for if you cry for discernment, if you  search for her as for hidden treasures, then you will discern the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God. . . He is a shield for those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice. Then you will discern righteousness and justice and every good course. For wisdom will enter your heart, and understanding will watch over your soul.



2 comments:

Dawn said...

Love that.

Unknown said...

I'm starting the new year reading through Psalm 119. Somehow though, when you type the words it stands out so fresh and new! Thank you~